Ads 468x60px

Monday 10 December 2012

*To Thine Own Brand Be True*



I know Shakespeare didn’t actually say that, but if he'd lived in the 21st century, he would've. 

Nowadays everything is about branding: if you run a business or offer any kind of services, you need to have a brand that will make you different, unique. That will make you a professional in your niche. Without a brand, you're naked among all those who have one. It’s a must and a fuss. And you have to nail it, too! Not too vague, or too complex, or too bland. It has to catch the attention and fit in perfectly with your personality, and the business you run.

This is why I had to RE-BRAND myself a couple of days ago. I’m not really an entrepreneur, but I like to categorize things, including myself. And while I will miss the fact that I could abbreviate my blog’s name into LMAO (“Lyn Midnight Against the Odds”), I had to get serious.

Have you ever felt like you’ve outgrown something? I did.

*Against the Odds* is still right. It’s so tough to publish these days, not to mention being heard and establishing yourself in any kind of capacity, anywhere. But that’s only part of what I am about… because fighting against something is not necessarily a good thing.

I’d much rather fight FOR something; TOWARDS something. This is why I had a sudden change of brand. After all, this blog reflects my many interests. This blog is my canvas and my tools… well, my tools are my passions. Having many passions defines me. So POLYGAMOUS PASSIONISTA sounds just about perfect for me. And I feel like I finally nailed it! 


“Learn to be what you are, and learn to resign with good grace all that you are not.”

I put this quote below the blog title because it rings true enough. I have to admit, the first time I heard it was on Being Erica: one of my absolute favorite TV Series of all time! Some of you may know I MAJORLY relate to Erica: she’s goofy, gets lost, loves books, finds lessons in unexpected places, and she time travels to “fix her life”, but what she does is more effective: she fixes herself.

Anyway, the quote got me thinking… I am many things. But I have also wanted to be many other things, which I simply cannot be. Moreover, one person can’t be everything, so something’s gotta give. Growing up, I have wanted to be…


Singer
Actress
Psychic
Librarian
Columnist
Animal Rescuer
Modern Day Buddha


But there is a reason I am not all those things. Today, I would rather be:


AUTHOR
LIFE COACH
PROJECT MANAGER
SOCIAL MEDIA GURU
TRAVEL PHOTOGRAPHER


I’d say my plate is full enough, wouldn’t you? Every one of these things makes me happy. Without writing, I feel as if I’m a fish trying to swim in the air; without travel, I start to suffocate and find reasons to change location; without helping people, I feel unfulfilled; without taking photos, I feel as if one of my limbs is missing; without at least one project to manage, I feel aimless and bored; and without social media, I feel disconnected.

All of these things are needed, not just wanted. 

I can still sing in the shower, and I have featured in a short film. I can still do Tarot readings for my friends while we drink wine and gossip about boys. I can still save a kitten from the street and find a home for it. And I can definitely do all those little things that make me smile, but only do them in moderation. Because I’ve my plate full of BIG DREAMS.

Enough about me. What is YOUR brand? Does it reflect YOU?

I wanna know what defines YOU. I want to hear about YOUR passions, all of them. I want to know what you’ve given up as a big dream but still do once in a while to feel alive.

Thanks for reading! I hope to hear from you. :)


P.S. For other multi-passionate people out there, check out the Puttylike Community